Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Daily Collegian Analysis: Multimedia

I'm a staff member at the Daily Collegian, and my duties include producing the web content as well as writing stories. However, I don't actually make the videos, I just put them online. I decided to do an analysis of one of my fellow Collegian coworker's multimedia pieces, because it's important to be critical of the work that coming out of your publication. Not everything is perfect, and acknowledging strengths and weaknesses help everyone work better as a unit.

I decided to pull up this package about the recent UMass Homecoming 2011. It's something I know basically nothing about because I try to avoid it at all costs. Being surrounded by a large crowd of people drinking makes me uncomfortable to say the least.


But when it comes to the positives about this video, I liked the variety of the shots. There were plenty of shots of different things in the area and what people were doing at the tailgate. The use of audio worked pretty well with the opening music of the marching band. It gave the feel that I was literally next to the parade, watching the band go by. The narration was spoken elegantly, and the voice wasn't sharp or awkward. It flowed through the story pretty well.

And although I enjoyed it, I felt that there could have possibly been a bit more. A minute is a bit short for a multimedia package like this. Homecoming is a big thing, and could have been treated as such in the video. Perhaps interviewing people would have added to the depth. I noticed a lack of a tripod, so perhaps there was a lack of a microphone as well. However, the shots were actually decent and the camera work wasn't that shaky. I didn't really notice bad camera work. I also felt that this story was intentionally dodging a certain element to the Homecoming. I didn't notice any shots of the belligerent drunks acting rowdy. I only know this because I had to pass through Homecoming 2 years ago after a rugby game, and I hated the sight. Empty cans were everywhere, I saw piles of vomit, and police arresting people. From what I heard from people who went, it wasn't any different this year. This story makes it seem that is was a happy and great time, which it could have been, but I feel as if it was missing a crucial part that could have made it a much more solid package.

But again, for a short piece, which may have been the intention, it does its part. I would have liked to know more about the Homecoming in the narration, which could have offered a bit more information about the event, but for what it is, it worked well enough for me, and I'm sure it's just fine for others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment